Friday, September 5, 2014

goodbye ebay! hello...whatever this will be: the death and rebirth of the best dutch auction in internet history

Some of you know this picture:



That was my calling card for a decade, ever since the Red Sox made their playoff push in 2004.  It became a symbol for me and my customers and even pre-dated my ebay handle, red_sox_nation_2004_champs, which i ended up taking in May of 2005.  Through the years, my calling card became my customer service and the deals i gave out with ebay's premier dutch auction.

Through the years, my customers kept coming back, and new customers came through.  You were with me through the highs - Red Sox winning in 2004, 2007 and 2013, my wife finding out she was pregnant this spring - and you were there through the lows (have you seen the red sox this year?  it's worse than the year with bobby v at the helm).

So why leave ebay?  a few reasons.  It was hard to reach newer customers.  The fees.  THE FEES!
THE FEES!  Really, when ebay and paypal is taking 15% of every dollars, and your donating another 10 cents of every dollar....then factor in everything else....it was a lot of work for very little profit.  So it is here i will stay.  Ill probably keep running my dutch on ebay...if new folks see it and want to buy, it will be there.  But for my previous customers, this is where you will want to buy (shipping prices alone)








No comments:

Post a Comment